Now that we are in the middle of a hot Indian summer, it is the right time to know some of the best life hacks to beat it.
- Water is your best friend and use it to reset your body temperature: As the mercury soars, excessive sweating can deplete your micro vitamins and minerals from the body. It is advised to increase level of water intake to around 9–10 glasses per day. Adequate water intake prevents constipation, helps remove toxins from the system, and helps replenish the lost mineral content.
- Go green & go seasonal: In summer, we should minimize the body heat and keep it cool as much as possible. Dietary modifications can help a long way in achieving this. Just go green by including more salads, green tea, fresh fruit servings, and sprouts. Eat plenty of seasonal fruits like pears, guava, melons, and mangoes. It not only keeps the stomach light but will also provide much needed energy to keep you active. Increase your intake of vegetables like cucumbers, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, and lettuce, which keeps your body cool.
- Fruit juices to boost your octane: Drink plenty of fluids and fresh fruit juices as they will help you beat the summer heat. Prepare fresh fruit juices at home and avoid aerated artificial drinks. You can also try iced green tea which can be made better with added herbs to it.
- Wrap yourself in cotton: Cotton is a natural air-conditioning fabric. It helps in cooling the body as it allows air circulation and at the same time absorbs sweat. Also do remember to choose loose fitting and light colored ones. So if you have not shopped yet, it is time to hit the store and pick up few cotton casuals.
- Avoid carbonated drinks: It is advisable to avoid carbonated drinks and milk-based fruit smoothies. It is found that these drinks interrupt the process of digestion which can lead to accumulation of toxins and further lowering body immunity. Ayurveda recommends tea made of coriander, fennel, and cumin seeds for improvement of digestion and relaxation of the mind.
- Relax and cool off with shower: Summers are sweaty and if you exercise it just gets worse. Try jogging, swimming, or yoga combined with meditation. It is indeed rejuvenating if you take shower. However, it is better to avoid hot shower immediately after a workout as it can further sensitize the skin. It is advisable that you cool off in a cold shower.
- Try homemade face packs: The heat and dust of summer can make your skin dry, rough, and scaly. Try some homemade super cooling face packs like a cucumber face pack or a yogurt face pack. All you need to do is to just take a refrigerated cucumber, make a paste out of it, and just apply on the skin for 20 min before you wash it off with cold water. For a yogurt face pack take 2 tsp of natural yogurt and mix 2 tsp of honey, mix it gently and apply on your face for 20 min before washing it off with lukewarm water. It is an inexpensive way of making your skin cool, glowing, and well hydrated.
The above-mentioned seven easy tips not only help you to beat the summer heat but also get you through it with a better frame of mind. Be cool…
– Dr. Umesh Chandra